Monday, May 17, 2010

A beginning....

It has to start somewhere, right? Starting tomorrow, I am vowing to cook a brand new type of food each day. Perhaps it will be popovers (never done that), or fiddle-heads (a what?). But I am going to break out of my culinary doldrums and try something new! The kids may not enjoy it, I may not enjoy it, and my husband may not enjoy it, but by gosh I am going to try!!

I have enjoyed cooking for years. When my mother got married, long long ago, she had no idea how to cook (so the story goes!). She was a determined young wife, and taught herself how to cook (I believe with a fair amount of help from my grandmothers, excellent cooks in their own rights!). So, when my sister and I were growing up, my mom was determined that we would both know how to cook well, when the time came to leave the house. Thus our love affair with food began...

Fast forward many years, and what is most important to me, in the culinary world, are healthy ingredients that are as "wholesome" as possible. I won't dive into the whole movement in my very first post, but I'll just say that I would like to keep my family's diet as local, organic and sustainable as possible. I am by no means perfect, and I believe it takes a long while to truly make the switch over in every way. Over the past year, I have made every effort I could afford, both monetarily and with time, to keep it local. My goal in the coming year is to make even more progress, but we'll keep that for later too.

For today, this is a welcome message, and a request to stay tuned. Tomorrow is my first day of trying something new - I think I am going to try and make popovers. I am not sure yet, but will keep you posted...pictures to follow!

3 comments:

  1. Great beginning and welcome message...but I am biased as one of the two hip sisters! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Can't wait to see what you have to share! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great site. It looks terrific and I will be following you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete